ROMÂNĂ | MAGYAR | ENGLISH

Short History of the Institution   
The history of the museum as an institution dates back to the 19th century. At the 9th of January 1876 Imre Tivai Nagy brought into being the Association of the Szekler Museum of Ciuc. In 1898, in the 44th number of the local newspaper (Csíki Lapok) an anonym writer mentioned the necessity of a county – museum. He complained that until that time no one had left one finger for the foundation of a museum. But this anonym writer wasn’t the only one who realised the necessity of a local museum. In 1902 the ethnographer Antal Hermann also wrote an article in the local newspaper about the importance of a museum, but nothing happened. In 1930, on the occasion of Whitsun Pál Péter Domokos (teacher), Imre Nagy (painter) and Géza Vámszer (teacher) and several other locals organized the first exhibition of the Association of the Szekler Museum of Ciuc at Şumuleu Ciuc: there were more than 140 exhibited articles, among which one could find ecclesiastical objects, works of the fine arts and ethnographic objects. This exhibition is considered to be the first real step to the foundation of the museum: it set off the collecting of old, valuable objects for the Szekler Museum.

The Sekler Museum of Ciuc
Miercurea Ciuc, Cetatii Square no. 2
Harghita County, Romania

The Nagy Imre Art Gallery
Miercurea Ciuc, Zsögödi Nagy Imre Street no. 175.

The Kossuth Gallery
Miercurea Ciuc, Kossuth Lajos Street no. 12
Postal address:
Muzeul Secuiesc al Ciucului
530132 Miercurea Ciuc, Piaţa Cetăţii nr.2
Judeţul Harghita, Romania

Tel: (004) 0266-372024
Tel/Fax: (004) 0266-311727
Mobil: (004) 0753-073531

E-mail: info@csikimuzeum.ro
Web: www.csikimuzeum.ro
Our EU project:
Main sponsor:
Our cultural project:
Sustainer:
Developed by Designed by